Monday, August 15, 2005

Walt Disney World - Orlando, FL

Last week, I took a business trip out to Orlando, Florida for my annual training at Walt Disney World. Most of our meals were served buffet style, and the food wasn't great, but it was edible. Walt Disney World Resorts are not known for their fine dining options, but they do have a few places that may be worth trying. Below are a few of some of their better restaurants:

Victoria and Albert's - Victoria and Albert's is Disney's finest restaurant which is located in the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa. It is described as a "very-special-occasion romantic Victorian retreat" which offers nightly harpists, personalized menus, and a long-stem rose for the ladies. I haven't had the urge to go to this restaurant with co-workers, so I haven't tried this place yet.

Bluezoo - Bluezoo is Todd English's contribution to Disney. The Bluezoo is an upscale seafood restaurant located in the Dolphin Hotel. I tried this place last year, and the food tasted fine, but I felt incredibly sick afterwards. I attribute my sickness to the overuse of butter and cream in many of the dishes.

Shula's Steakhouse - Shula's, located in the Dolphin Hotel, is the best steakhouse in the Walt Disney World Resort area. I just went here last Thursday night, so I'll focus on this one. Shula's Steakhouse is known for their steaks, and similar to other steakhouses, one can also find alternatives to beef. They also serve chops, fish, and shelfish, but I don't know anyone who has ordered anything but steak at this place. They offer a number of different cuts of beef, and one can get a steak as small as a 12 ounce filet mignon, or as big as a 48 ounce porterhouse. If you can manage to put down the 48 ounce porterhouse, they'll put your name on a plaque on the wall. I wasn't quite up to the 48 ounce porterhouse challenge, so I decided to go with the 24 ouncer. As usual, I ordered the steak medium rare, and I also got a caesar salad and a number of sides which included, asparagus, a baked potato, hashbrowns, and creamed spinach. The salad wasn't bad, and the sides were pretty tasty. After loading up on salad and bread, my steak came. I checked the inside of my steak, and it was almost cooked all the way through. For a split second, I thought about sending it back, but I decided against it because I know what goes on behind the scenes in a kitchen. Although, it was cooked medium to medium well, the steak tasted good, but not great. This restaurant takes a back seat to most steak places I've been to including Luger's, Sparks, and the Capriccio Grill. All in all, it was a okay meal. I can't complain...it was free.

4 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger Mr. Jeffrey said...

you're a pooper.
send that puppy back!
Mine was juicy, tender, and with just a light amount of salty steak flavor...very nice.

I'm going for the 48 ouncer next year.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Disney World Tickets

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Admin said...

Great blog, keep up the good work. Glad to see sites like this.

Here is another good site I said I would pass along.
Disney Cruise
Thanks

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I highly recommend Boma, one of two outstanding restaurants in the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Disney World. It's buffet style, but the African cuisine is unique and delicious; I had the single best couscous I've ever tasted, and one of the best soups on earth. I've heard its neighboring non-buffet restaurant, Jiko, is just as good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home